Subcommittee 3 provides a forum for comparing international standards activities to ASC C63® membership standards activities and makes recommendations to the C63® Main Committee on possible US positions on international EMC matters, to facilitate harmonization of national and international standards, considering US regulatory as well as commercial requirements. Subcommittee 3 may make recommendations to the C63® Main Committee about introducing the work of C63® to the US National Committee Technical Advisory Groups for submission to international standards committees.
SC 3 shall review international EMC standards for technical issues that may affect C63® membership standards development. These reviews may lead to recommendations for action by C63® to promote harmonization of C63® standards with international standards. Via the SC 3 liaison representatives of the USNC TAGs for international standards organizations with EMC activities (e.g., CISPR, TC77, ISO), information is shared in both directions with the following expectation:
To take action in the form of recommendations to the parent committee (C63®) of possible US positions on international EMC matters with the focus of striving for harmonization of national and international standards, considering US regulatory as well as commercial requirements. Conversely, recommendations can be made to the parent committee for introducing the work of C63® to the USNC TAGs.
Maintain ANSI C63.12 - American National Standard Recommended Practice for Electromagnetic Compatibility Limits and Test Levels
1) For each PINS already in force or newly-prepared by C63® or its subcommittees, SC 3 shall prepare a statement on the relation of the proposed or existing standard to existing international standards or those in development.
2) When requested by the parent committee to review a specific C63® member standard, SC 3 shall prepare a statement on the relation of the proposed or existing member standard to existing international standards or those in development.
3) In cases where harmonization with an international standard is not considered appropriate, SC 3 shall summarize the differences in technological applications, government regulations, or practical considerations that justify differences between US standards and international standards.
4) SC 3 shall make recommendations to C63® regarding which international standards should be adopted directly as US national standards.
5) SC 3 may recommend to C63® that the standards work of C63® be used as input (via the liaisons with the USNC TAGs) to appropriate international standards for which the liaison members are responsible.
There are two classes of membership: regular members and liaison members.
For regular membership consideration, applicants are required to attach a resume to the application form highlighting their expertise in electromagnetic compatibility and the type of contributions they can provide of interest to Subcommittee 3. Subcommittee membership requires Subcommittee approval and a C63® vote and, if approved, notice of acceptance will be sent to the applicant. For name and address of the Subcommittee Chair and for Subcommittee projects, please see the Subcommittee listings on the C63® web site at www.C63.org
See "Membership and Working Group Roster" page for additional criteria for continued membership
Liaison members are non-voting members. The liaison members of Subcommittee 3 consist of the technical advisors (TAs) and deputy technical advisors (DTAs) of the IEC USNC TAGs which have as their main scope EMC topics. These members are approved by the regular members of the subcommittee and the parent committee as noted for regular members. Should the need arise to include additional liaison members during the year (in addition to those included on the SC membership list approved at the first C63® meeting of the year) as a result of special circumstances (i.e., the individual can contribute significantly to the work of the Subcommittee), liaison membership may be granted after approval by the Regular Members of the Subcommittee and a parent committee vote. .
NOTE: Fees for membership, meetings, and other costs are covered in the general fee structure on the C63® web site. Liaison members will not have a regular membership fee but may be charged a meeting fee to offset meeting expenses.